This document describes the sample applications that are included in the Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK). Each chapter describes a sample application that showcases specific functionality and provides instructions on how to compile, run and use the sample application.
1.1. Documentation Roadmap
The following is a list of DPDK documents in suggested reading order:
- Release Notes : Provides release-specific information, including supported features, limitations, fixed issues, known issues and so on. Also, provides the answers to frequently asked questions in FAQ format.
- Getting Started Guides : Describes how to install and configure the DPDK software for your operating system; designed to get users up and running quickly with the software.
- Programmer’s Guide: Describes:
- The software architecture and how to use it (through examples), specifically in a Linux* application (linuxapp) environment.
- The content of the DPDK, the build system (including the commands that can be used in the root DPDK Makefile to build the development kit and an application) and guidelines for porting an application.
- Optimizations used in the software and those that should be considered for new development
A glossary of terms is also provided.
- API Reference : Provides detailed information about DPDK functions, data structures and other programming constructs.
- Sample Applications User Guide : Describes a set of sample applications. Each chapter describes a sample application that showcases specific functionality and provides instructions on how to compile, run and use the sample application.