20. ABI and API Deprecation
See the guidelines document for details of the ABI policy. API and ABI deprecation notices are to be posted here.
20.1. Deprecation Notices
- meson: The minimum supported version of meson for configuring and building
DPDK will be increased to v0.47.1 (from 0.41) from DPDK 19.05 onwards. For
those users with a version earlier than 0.47.1, an updated copy of meson
can be got using the
pip3, tool for downloading python packages.
- kvargs: The function
rte_kvargs_processwill get a new parameter for returning key match count. It will ease handling of no-match case.
- eal: The function
rte_eal_remote_launchwill return new error codes after read or write error on the pipe, instead of calling
- eal: both declaring and identifying devices will be streamlined in v18.11.
New functions will appear to query a specific port from buses, classes of
device and device drivers. Device declaration will be made coherent with the
new scheme of device identification.
rte_devargsdevice representation will change.
- The enum
rte_devtypewas used to identify a bus and will disappear.
- Functions previously deprecated will change or disappear:
- The enum
- vfio: removal of
rte_vfio_dma_unmapAPIs which have been replaced with
rte_dev_dma_unmapfunctions. The due date for the removal targets DPDK 20.02.
- pci: Several exposed functions are misnamed.
The following functions are deprecated starting from v17.11 and are replaced:
- dpaa2: removal of
rte_dpaa2_memsegsstructure which has been replaced by a pa-va search library. This structure was earlier being used for holding memory segments used by dpaa2 driver for faster pa->va translation. This structure would be made internal (or removed if all dependencies are cleared) in future releases.
- ethdev: the legacy filter API, including
rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl()as well as filter types MACVLAN, ETHERTYPE, FLEXIBLE, SYN, NTUPLE, TUNNEL, FDIR, HASH and L2_TUNNEL, is superseded by the generic flow API (rte_flow) in PMDs that implement the latter. Target release for removal of the legacy API will be defined once most PMDs have switched to rte_flow.
- cryptodev: support for using IV with all sizes is added, J0 still can
be used but only when IV length in following structs
rte_crypto_aead_xformis set to zero. When IV length is greater or equal to one it means it represents IV, when is set to zero it means J0 is used directly, in this case 16 bytes of J0 need to be passed.
- sched: To allow more traffic classes, flexible mapping of pipe queues to traffic classes, and subport level configuration of pipes and queues changes will be made to macros, data structures and API functions defined in “rte_sched.h”. These changes are aligned to improvements suggested in the RFC https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2018-November/120035.html.
- metrics: The function
rte_metrics_initwill have a non-void return in order to notify errors instead of calling
rte_power_set_envfunction will no longer return 0 on attempt to set new power environment if power environment was already initialized. In this case the function will return -1 unless the environment is unset first (using
rte_power_unset_env). Other function usage scenarios will not change.